At the end of the course we all have to write a research paper which is compulsory for the degree. But instead of spending time researching and writing, we often spend time formatting it or researching sources. with us Tips for an undergraduate thesis we want to help you focus on the essentials. And, of course, you can use them for your master’s thesis as well.
All tips for undergraduate work at a glance
There are many small tools you can use that will make your research and sourcing even easier to get through your bachelor’s thesis without enough stress. We’ve rounded up the best tools and tips for your bachelor’s thesis. And, yes, of course they all have available for free or through the university.
However, our most important piece of advice comes right at the beginning: Don’t start your research blindly, choose it all. Tools, apps, quote methods, and more before you get started exit. That way, you can keep everything straight and you don’t have to do double work.
1. Tips for coordinating and planning your bachelor thesis
One of many tips is correct Preparation and planning: When should the research be completed, and what deadlines does the university set? You can draw all these in different forms. I used these tips and tricks like:
- Trello: Trello is a free tool for coordinating projects, creating tasks and meeting deadlines. All tasks are divided into a specific category on the pin board, so you always have an overview of when and how much time is left.
- Microsoft Case: You can use this program online as an app or app and create extensive to-do lists.
- Google Calendar: If you don’t want to use an additional tool, you may want to take a closer look at the reminders and tasks feature in its calendar. Here you can also easily enter your deadlines.
2. Tips for researching your undergraduate thesis
When doing research, you can literally get bogged down, because the laptop is not always with you, and then an important source is quickly smeared on a piece of paper. How should you do this? To keep an overview?
There are various apps and programs that can help you sort through your history or recommend more sources:
- mind master: is a mind mapping tool with a stylish design and completely free. You can use it via smartphone as well as online. Apart from mind maps, you can also turn them into similar presentations Prezi. Of course, you can also use it with your colleagues and distribute the tasks in it.
- Draw.io: Draw.io is one of the free tools Google. With a few clicks, you can choose from different templates and create great mind maps or flowcharts.
- WorldCat: This online tool is guaranteed to find more literature on the topic Google Scholar or yours library catalog.
- Survio: By the way, do you want to include representative surveys in your undergraduate thesis, which is always good? Then these free tools will help you. It is more graphically attractive SurveyMonkey, you cannot use all the features of the free version.
3. Tips for correct citation, translation and spelling
right Citation is the be-all and end-all in scientific work. That’s why you need to think about how best to manage and sort your sources when researching, because there’s nothing more frustrating than not being able to source a good quote.
- So that: This program can save the entire bibliography through an add-on in your browser with one click. In addition, you can use all possible citation forms to insert texts directly Word or Google Docs upload.
- I quoted: Many universities offer a university license for this program. It is a comprehensive tool for sorting research lists, citations and proper references. Alternatively you can Bibliography take advantage of.
- Scibbr: It’s where you get your source information, which is a bit tricky, but error-free Scribbr APA-Harvard or footnote style.
But also grammar and spelling It’s an important point that you shouldn’t leave it to your friends to fix. There are also great tools for this:
- Duden.de: The Dude not only gives you definitions and synonyms, but also provides a pretty good spell checker www.duden.de/rechtschreibpruefung-online. If you write your work online (eg in Google Docs), you can also install it as a Chrome addon.
- Grammer: It is the English version Dude– Spell check and also available in German in beta version.
- Linguee, dict.cc or Leo: These translators often provide you with sample sentences for the foreign words you’re looking up and make sure you’re using the correct vocabulary. For all sentences Google Translate one.
4. Tips for clear pictures and graphs
Sometimes you want a process or a scheme visualize visuallybut the same Photoshop or Illustrator there is no question of winning. These tools offer you many design features for free:
- Canva: Canva has templates for everything from cover letters to banners. Of course you can create a graphic to your own dimensions, many illustrations and symbols such as arrows are included for free.
- Draw.io: This tool can create not only mind maps, but also custom drawings or even simplified layouts. Everyone together Google-Account can use the app and communicate with it easily Google Drive to join
- Infographic: If you want to present the numbers in an easy to understand way then Infogram the right tool for you. Because unlike Excel or Google Docs you can edit charts and legends more individually.
5. Tips for submitting your bachelor’s thesis
For many, submitting a bachelor’s thesis is not enough oral exam still waiting. This usually consists of an introduction and a question section. A little tip: If you make an impression in the first part, it will be easier for you with questions, and this can also be done with good slides:
- Prezi: Everyone should have seen the program by now because a Prezi-Presentation that everyone is interested in: what is it made of? Prezi allows you to create professional animations and extremely stylish presentations for free. It is an alternative Master of the mind.
- Google Press: Google offers an alternative to the paid ones in its free suite Microsoft-presentation. If you want an unsettled president, we can also recommend Canva as inside tips for your bachelor’s defense.
More tips for your bachelor’s thesis
Despite excellent preparation, many students feel particularly stressed during their master’s or bachelor’s thesis. It’s understandable, but you can damage in the long run and, for example, cause burnout or depression during your studies. These apps can help you relax:
- Be careful: You can activate this extension in chrome and enter the time of day you want to spend on social networks. When the time is up, it will be Facebook and co. is automatically blocked. A great way to avoid the Instagram effect.
- Forest: For every minute you’re not looking at your phone, this app rewards you with trees and new small plants in your forest.
- Raise the bar: Set your daily goals and checklists and track your achievements.
Here’s another tip, guys rituals of slowing down in your daily life install For example, learning to meditate and meditating for 10 minutes every night before bed can be helpful. Other techniques can also help improve your mental health.
Conclusion: Well-planned work is half-stressed
Good planning not only saves you nerves at the print shop, but also protects against possible health effects through constant stress during the thesis. We hope that our tips for your undergraduate thesis have helped you.
If you want to know more about planning your studies perfectly, we have the best tips for that too. And we’ve got a miracle cure for the archenemy of all students: this is how you can beat procrastination.
If you really want to make an impression, you can also write your bachelor’s thesis abroad. Here you can find out why our author recommends everyone to study Erasmus and how to finance your stay abroad.